Monday, August 5, 2013

Summer Reading - The Great Gatsby

I recently read The Great Gatsby (by F. Scott Fitzgerald).  I feel like I have joined the ranks of the well-read now having completed one of the great American novels.

I'm glad I read the novel, but I can't say I loved it. W
atching the Crash Courses (that I have posted links to at the end of the post) actually helped me understand and appreciate The Great Gatsby a lot more.  

I thought F. Scott Fitzgerald was wonderful at describing the setting of the novel - everything from the parties at the mansions on Long Island, to the desolate smoke and dirt in the valley of ashes, to the smoldering heat of summer in Manhattan.  By the way, I have always wondered what New York City was like before air conditioning during a heat wave and now I know - yikes!

I enjoyed reading all the details about the Jazz era - everything from the houses, and parties, to the cars, and the details of life back then. The 1920s were a glamorous age and it was fun to picture what everything would have looked like.  

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I did a collage of some of the things I imagined while I was reading the novel, like I did for the previous two books I reviewed (here and here).

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

If you really want to understand the Great Gatsby and its significance you should watch the Crash Courses that I have linked to below.  It helps you understand:
  • how The Great Gatsby is a novel about the American dream 
  • the importance of the colours gold, yellow, and green in the novel
  • how the characters are obsessed with changing time in the novel





Have you read The Great Gatsby?  Did you like it?  The characters are interesting, but not very likable which can be a problem in liking the novel.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment